TECHNICAL INFORMATION BULLETIN
March 19, 2003
PRODUCT FAMILY(S) Marine Engines
Component Code(s) 1371
Use of the 9Y-5710 Auxiliary Sea Water Pump in 3500 and 3500B applications
The 9Y-5710 Auxiliary Sea Water Pump is an attachment on 3500 and 3500B Marine and Marine Auxiliary Engines. This pump group includes a gear reduction as part of the pump group. The capability of this gear reduction is exceeded if the total system restriction is greater than 25 psi. The total system restriction is defined as the pressure difference between the pump inlet and the pump outlet. If a 9Y-5710 Auxiliary Sea Water Pump is used in an application where the total system restriction exceeds 25 psi, this situation will be considered a mis-application of this component.
On existing installations, if the total system restriction exceeds 25 psi, the system restriction should be reduced.
- Replace the 9Y-7179 Water Pump Elbow (outlet) with the 5N-5886 Water Pump Elbow (inlet). This will remove the 38mm orifice that is part of the 9Y-7179 Water Pump Elbow.
- Modify the system piping in order to remove any unnecessary restrictions, elbows, etc.
- Use the 9Y-5710 Auxiliary Sea Water Pump, making sure that the total system restriction does not exceed 25 psi.
- Use the 144-6081 Auxiliary Water Pump and match the vessels sea water systems to the performance of this pump (pump performance data is available in TMI).
- Use one of the smaller auxiliary sea water pumps that are offered in the Caterpillar Price List. Match the vessels sea water systems to the performance of the smaller auxiliary sea water pump (pump performance data is available in TMI).
- Use an aftermarket or a commercial remote mounted electric drive pump.
For 3500 or 3500B applications that require an auxiliary sea water (raw water) pump and a 9Y-5710 pump is being considered, use one of the following options:
COPYRIGHT 2003 CATERPILLAR
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED