3C8741 MAST AS. Caterpillar parts
Alternative (cross code) number:
Weight: 0.13 pounds 0 kg.
Illustration 1 g02573279
Specification for 230-2516 Rod As
Item Qty Part Specification Description
When a new top end bushing is installed, ensure that no residual dirt or machining debris is trapped between the bushing (2) and the drilled hole (1) in the connecting rod. Refer to Illustration 1.
Use the following procedure for cleaning the drilled hole (1):
1. Clean the drilled hole with a suitable cleaning solution. Use a spray nozzle in order to wash the drilled hole from the large end of the connecting rod.
2. Use a stiff plastic bristle brush to clean the drilled hole. Do not scratch the finish.
- 4 7N-2405 Bolt Use the following procedure for tightening the connecting rod bolts:
Bolt 1 and bolt 2 must be on the same end of the connecting rod cap that has bearing tabs and location pin (3).
1. Before assembly, apply Molylube to the bolt threads, the bolt shank, and the bolt seat.
2. Sequentially tighten bolt 1 and bolt 2 to 90 5 N m (66 4 lb ft).
3. Sequentially tighten bolt 3 and bolt 4 to 90 5 N m (66 4 lb ft).
4. Sequentially again, tighten bolt 3 and bolt 4 to 90 5 N m (66 4 lb ft).
5. Tighten each bolt for an additional 90 5 degrees.
4 - - The chamfer must be next to the crank pin thrust surface when the connecting rod and the piston group are assembled in the engine. The opposite side will push the rod that mates on the same crank pin.
A 1 - The connecting rod must be heated prior to installation of the bushing for the piston pin. Do not use a torch to heat the connecting rod.
The connecting rod may be heated from 175 to 260 °C (347 to 500 °F) for the installation of the bushing for the piston pin. Minimum length for heating the connecting rod is 105 mm (4.1 inch).
B 1 230-2519 Bushing Bore in the bushing for the piston pin after installation is 70.000 0.008 mm (2.7559 0.0003 inch).
Bore in the connecting rod for the bushing for the piston pin is 75.760 0.015 mm (2.9827 0.0006 inch).
C - - Angle above centerline on either side of the bushing joint for bushing for the piston pin is 10 degrees.
D - - Distance between the center is 392.5 mm (15.45 inch).
E - - Take the connecting rod bearing measurements on the centerline of the connecting rod bores.
Bore in the connecting rod bearing for the crankshaft is 135.133 to 135.194 mm (5.3202 to 5.3226 inch).
Clearance between the connecting rod bearing and the new crankshaft is 0.107 to 0.218 mm (0.0042 to 0.0086 inch).
F 1 7N-2043 Dowel Extension of the dowel from the connecting rod cap is 4.0 0.5 mm (0.16 0.02 inch).
G - - Bore in the connecting rod for the bearing for the crankshaft connecting rod journal after applying final torque to the connecting rod bolts is 143.028 0.015 mm